Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Out in the garden....

I harvested the last of the mini Pak Choi yesterday -- I had envisioned these as a "cut and come again" crop in the greenhouse, but they really aren't suited for that, so sadly this is the last of them.   I'm planning on braising these this week with some balsamic dressing -- so delicious!
We're also loving the Swiss Chard, dwarf kale, and the delicate corn salad -- I'm using all of these in salads.  These plants are all still growing and going in the greenhouse.
Today I started the tomato seeds out in the greenhouse.  During the past cold days, I spent some time making "seed mats" with the various types of tomato seeds that I'm trying this year.  I'm not sure if this will work, but it seemed to make sense to me - the cheap napkins will hold the seeds in place when I'm watering them and will add another layer of moisture. I hope I didn't make a mistake, but time will tell.

This year I'm trying: 1)Beefsteak, 2)Snow White, 3)Sleeping Lady, 4)Cherokee Purple, 5)Great White, 6)Juanne Flammee, 7) Red Star, and 8)Cherry Mix (this is a packet that's two years old, with various colors of cherry tomatoes, so not sure what will come up.)
 I filled the pots up about 1/2 way, then put each little mat down, and covered them with more soil.

John helped me set up the new grow light above the table, and I got a seed mat heater for under them, so I don't know what else I can do to baby these along! Time will tell.

This past week he also pruned the peach and the plum trees.  We're looking forward to lots of fruit this year, and he wants to add a couple more peach trees.  We really loved that Rio Grande Peach, so we'll look for those.
 Methley plum
Rio Grande Peach
And the blackberry plants are continuing to spread.  Hope to actually see some berries on them this year!
This week I'm also planning to start the tomatillo seeds...I can't wait for spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment