Sunday, September 7, 2014

September 7, 2014 Photo and Journal Challenge

That's today!  I'm trying to get back up to date with my photos.  Today's photo challenge was Something New.  I haven't bought anything new lately, absolutely nothing came to mind, so I went out to the garden and chicken yard for this one.
It was about 6 pm when I took these photos - I loved the way the setting sun was throwing the light across the egg in the laying box.  We have 12 brown egg laying hens that are about 5 months old, and one or two of them are starting to lay eggs already.  I'm not sure which ones are laying since we haven't caught them in the boxes yet.  I don't think most of them will start laying until late October or November, so we've been happily surprised by these few early layers. They are a mix of different breeds - Red Stars, Dominiques, Barred Rocks, Partridge Rocks, one Rhode Island Red, and two Easter Eggers.  Looking forward to the day they are all laying! Two of the "hens" that we were supposed to get turned out to be roosters. Sigh....

The small fall garden is looking good, thanks to all of the rain we've been getting the last few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment